Archive for the News Category

L.A. Restaurant Charges $20 for Bottle of Water on Pricey New Water Menu

Posted in News with tags on August 15, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2370

ABC News Blogs

L.A. Restaurant Charges $20 for Bottle of Water on Pricey New Water Menu

By  | ABC News Blogs – 4 hours ago

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/l-restaurant-charges-20-bottle-water-pricey-water-115851406.html

Ray’s and Stark Bar, a restaurant located inside the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, has introduced an exclusive water menu featuring bottled waters from around the world, all curated by the nation’s first ever water sommelier.

The water menu was introduced last month. It was created by the restaurant’s general manager and water sommelier, Martin Riese, and features 20 sparkling and still brands from 12 different countries.

The menu on the restaurant’s website describes the waters in varying degrees of sweet, salty, smooth and complex, and the brands vary in price.

Iskilde, a still water from Denmark, costs $12 per one-liter bottle. Badoit, a sparkling water from France, costs $8 per .75 liter-bottle. This water was said to pair “well with sweet wine and cheese,” according to the menu.

Beverly Hills 90H20 ( the Los Angeles Time reported that this is Riese’s own brand) sells for $16 per one-liter bottle. It’s described as “pristine spring water from Northern California mountains” that is “combined with a select balance of natural minerals, resulting in a 7.5 pH alkalinity, and a silky smooth, incredibly crisp taste profile.”

At $20 for a .75-liter bottle, Berg, a glacial still water from Greenland, is the most expensive water on the menu.

A .75-liter bottle of Evian costs $8.

Riese is considered an expert on water. In fact, he co-wrote “Die Welt des Wasser (World of Water),” a book on the subject, according to his company profile.

 

L.A. Restaurant Charges $20 for Bottle of Water on Pricey New Water Menu

 

 

 

Britain weighs legal action against Spain on Gibraltar

Posted in News with tags on August 15, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2361

Britain weighs legal action against Spain on Gibraltar

Reuters

William James and Peter Griffiths 20 hours ago

By William James and Peter Griffiths

 

Drivers wait in line to enter the British territory of Gibraltar at its border with Spain in front of the Rock of Gibraltarin La Linea de la Concepcion

 

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain warned Spain on Monday it might take legal action to try to force Madrid to abandon tighter controls at the border with the contested British overseas territory of Gibraltar in what it called an “unprecedented” step against a European ally.

The warning coincided with the departure of a British warship for Gibraltar, played down by the British and Spanish governments as part of a long planned, routine exercise but which underscored heightened tensions over the territory.

A spokesman for Prime Minister David Cameron said the Spanish border checks, imposed after Gibraltar created an artificial reef which Spain said blocked its fishing vessels, were “disproportionate” and “politically motivated”.

Tensions over the rocky outpost at the mouth of the Mediterranean to which Spain lays claim have turned into one of the worst rows in years between the two European Union states.

View gallery.”

 

A woman takes a photo as drivers wait in line to enter …

 

A woman takes a photo with her mobile phone as drivers wait in line to enter to Spain at its border  …

“The prime minister is disappointed by the failure of the Spanish to remove the additional border checks this weekend and we are now considering what legal action is open to us,” Cameron’s spokesman said, arguing they breached EU law.

“This would be an unprecedented step,” he added.

Opposition politicians in Spain have accused Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of using the situation to distract Spaniards from the country’s severe recession and a corruption scandal.

Spain said it would not back down over the border controls which it said were a legal and proportionate step to prevent money laundering and smuggling of tobacco and other products.

If Britain chooses to test whether those restrictions breach EU law on freedom of movement, the case is likely to end up in the European Court of Justice. Judgements there can take years, although special cases can be fast-tracked.

View gallery.”

 

Tourists wait for a bus after visiting the British …

 

Tourists wait for a bus after visiting the British territory of Gibraltar in front of the Rock of Gi …

“There are some conceivable other international fora where you can discuss the issue but in terms of a proper litigation process the only one would be the European Court of Justice,” said Mats Persson, director of the Open Europe think-tank.

SPAIN TO PRESS CLAIM

The territory, which has a population of 30,000 and relies on tourism, the gambling industry and offshore banking, was ceded to Britain by Spain in the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht.

Spain’s tougher checks at the 1.2 km (0.75 mile) border have caused long delays for thousands of tourists and local people. Madrid also aired the idea of imposing a border crossing fee and of banning planes using its airspace to reach Gibraltar.

 

 

A Spanish foreign ministry spokeswoman on Monday restated her country’s position that it was considering through which international forum it could press its claim to Gibraltar.

HMS Westminster, a British Royal Navy warship set sail for the territory on Monday as part of an annual Mediterranean military exercise which both Spain and Britain say has been long planned and is unrelated to the dispute.

It evoked the 16th century naval rivalry between the two countries in which the English repelled an attempt by the Spanish Armada to try to invade England in 1588 and the Spanish defeated an English “Counter Armada” the following year.

A spokesman for the European Commission Jonathan Todd confirmed on Monday that a team of Commission officials would travel to Gibraltar in September to verify compliance with EU rules on frontier controls.

(Additional reporting by Belinda Goldsmith, Fiona Ortiz in Madrid and Charlie Dunmore in Brussels; Editing by Andrew Osborn, Guy Faulconbridge and Philippa Fletcher)

 

Snake-bite victim socked with $55K bill

Posted in News with tags on August 15, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2358

Snake-bite victim socked with $55K bill

 August 12, 2013The Sideshow

Snakebite victim's harrowing hospital bill (NBC4)

A Maryland woman treated for a snake bite received another shocker: a $55,000 medical bill.

Jules Weiss had stopped to take a photo at an overlook along the George Washington Parkway. On the way back to her car, she felt something bite her.

“It felt just like a bee sting,” Weiss told local station NBC4. “There were two fang marks with liquid coming out.”

The former emergency medical technician had suffered a copperhead snake bite. Within an hour, she said, her foot turned “grayish” and started to swell.

She went to Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Md., where she received three IV bags of antivenom over 18 hours. Then, the scary part: a whopping $55,000 bill for treatment.

“It’s not a number I can really wrap my head around,” Weiss said. Health insurance would bring the cost down to a few hundred dollars, according to NBC4. But the woman’s insurance had just lapsed. Antivenom involves milking individual snakes and is a costly treatment.

The Bethesda Hospital told NBC4 it can cost as much as $40,000 to get the antivenom.

That’s not the only pricey treatment for an animal attack: Last year, a woman in Arizona stung by a scorpionreceived a bill of $83,000 for the antivenom treatment — a staggering cost of $40,000 a dose. Even after insurance, Marcie Edmonds still owed the hospital $25,000.

Waves of Trash in Surfer Paradise

Posted in News with tags on August 15, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2357

 

ABC News Blogs

Waves of Trash in Surfer Paradise

By  | ABC News Blogs – 5 hours ago

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/waves-trash-surfer-paradise-100052474.html

Surf champion Dede Suryana surfs through a slick of trash in Indonesia.

Good Morning America/(Zak Noyle/A-Frame) – Surf champion Dede Suryana surfs through a slick of trash in Indonesia.

It’s what many imagine as paradise: Crystal-clear, blue-green waters perfect for catching a wave.

But the reality is sometimes far different, as captured by surf photographer Zak Noyle on a recent trip to Indonesia. On assignment for Surf Magazine, where he’s a staff photographer charged with traveling the world in search of perfect waves, he flew to a remote spot near Bali where there were “no people only jungle and wild animals around.”

“The trash suddenly showed up while we were out in the water in a large mass, including tree trunks the size of cars, lots of food wrappers and bottles as well, we even saw soccer balls floating amongst the debris,” he said. “I kept on thinking I would be seeing a body of some type of animal or something float by.”

The debris and trash, he said, came in with the very swell Noyle was there to photograph. “It came in a large field seemingly out of nowhere and covered the entire area we were in and then washed ashore. At one point it was as far as the eye could see.”

Noyle was living on a small fishing boat with no means to clean up all the trash.

The remote location – it took almost 24 hours of flying, 12 hours of driving and an eight-hour boat ride to get there- made the trash all the more surprising. “The trash was devastating to see, it seemed to have been adrift for awhile and came in with the large swell into this bay that we were at. I love the ocean and we need to take care of it.”

For more photos, visit Noyle’s web site.

Sinking Florida resort villa evacuated

Posted in News with tags on August 15, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2356

Sinking Florida resort villa evacuated

http://news.yahoo.com/sinking-florida-resort-villa-evacuated-061940938.html

Associated Press

ALMA RODRIGUEZ 6 hours ago
 A building at the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont, Fla, shows damage from collapsing into a sinkhole early Monday Aug. 12, 2013. No injuries or victims and all emergency responders were safe and uninjured. All guests that were rescued are being moved to a different building on the property. (AP Photo/Alma Rodriquez)

CLERMONT, Fla. (AP) — A sinkhole cracked the foundation in a villa housing vacationers at a central Florida resort near Disney World on Sunday, causing the building to slowly sink and prompting the evacuation of the hotel, authorities said.

Lake County Sheriff’s Sgt. James Vachon told WESH in Orlando the incident at the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont caused structural damage and firefighters and sheriff’s deputies were working the scene together. No injuries were reported.

Witnesses told The Associated Press they could hear a cracking sound as the villa sank. A large crack was visible at the building’s base.

Luis Perez, who was staying at a villa near the sinking one, said he was in his room when the lights went off around 11:30 p.m. He said he was on his way to the front desk to report the outage when he saw firefighters and police outside.

“I started walking toward where they were at and you could see the building leaning and you could see a big crack at the base of the building,” said Perez, 54, of Berona, N.J.

He called the other vacationers in his group and had them come outside. Eventually, he said, authorities evacuated his villa and a third one as well.

Summer Bay Resort is about 10 miles west of Disney World.

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now’s your chance.

Posted in News with tags on August 9, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2348
MODERN RUINS

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now’s your chance.

 

Okay, sure — this run down castle in France doesn’t look like much. But just think, for a mere $680,000 it could be all yours! ALL YOURS!

Located in Normandy, France, it’s an Anglo-Norman castle that was on the front lines in the wars between England and France during the Middle Ages.

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now's your chance.

And now it’s for sale. Yes, Château-sur-Epte Castle could use some touch-ups, but as real estate agent Patrice Besse points out, it’s got some real potential:

In terms of restoration, enlightened enthusiasts will find more than enough to assuage their passion especially as the proximity to Paris and the possibility of renovating the most recent house relatively quickly will enable them to live on site. Grants and tax deductions linked to the historic monument classification should make it possible to revive these admirable walls, stood in a magnificent, peaceful setting.

Jeez, looking at Besse’s websitethere’s a bunch of castles for sale. Who knew? But none appear to be quite as old as this one.

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now's your chance.

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now's your chance.

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now's your chance.

Wanna buy a medieval castle? Now's your chance.

Medievalists.net describes the history of the castle:

King William II began building Château-sur-Epte Castle in 1097 in an area known as the Vexin. The castle controlled a portion of the border between the Anglo-Norman Kingdom and France. In July 1119, French king Louis VI laid siege to the castle during his conflict with Henry I, but had to withdraw when one of his own castle’s was threatened by Henry’s forces.

King Henry II reinforced the castle in the latter half of the twelfth-century. It saw action again in the Hundred Years War, and was captured by English forces in 1437. After the Middle Ages the importance of the castle declined and in 1647 it was partially dismantled. It has since become the site to a farm, and during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries barn and houses were built around the former courtyard.

[Via Medievalists.net; Image: Patrice Besse]

 

Michelle Knight Returns to Cleveland House of Horrors

Posted in News with tags on August 3, 2013 by 2eyeswatching

Donate Button 1

Donate Button 2

Post 2310

Michelle Knight Returns to Cleveland House of Horrors

ABC News

ALYSSA NEWCOMB, ALEX PEREZ and MATTHEW JAFFE 4 hours agoCrime & Justice
http://news.yahoo.com/michelle-knight-returns-cleveland-house-horrors-201928503–abc-news-topstories.html
Knight, one of the three kidnapped women, pauses to wipe away tears as she reads her statements during the sentencing of her accused kidnapper Ariel Castro at a court hearing in Cleveland

Michelle Knight, the petite kidnap survivor who defiantly confronted her tormentor in court, today returned to the Cleveland house of horrors where she was held captive for 11 years.

Knight, 32, showed up on Seymour Street about 10:45 a.m. in a dark minivan.

Altagracia Tejeda said Knight came straight to her house, which is directly across the street from the home where Ariel Castro kept her a sex slave, often chained and often battered, for more than a decade. When Knight and the other two captives, Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry, escaped in May they ran to Tejeda’s house.

Knight posed for a photograph with Tejeda and thanked her for helping them during their bolt to freedom.

Knight, one of the three kidnapped women, reads her statements during the sentencing of her accused kidnapper Castro at a court hearing in Cleveland

Knight’s former prison, Castro’s home at 2207 Seymour Ave., has a cyclone fence around it, the windows are boarded up and a police officer is stationed outside the building. The city plans to demolish it.

A day after her powerful victim impact statement in court, Michelle Knight surprised neighbors with  …

The officer opened the gate and accompanied Knight as she viewed the house and walked around the outside, Tejeda said.

Catherine Adames told ABC News affiliate WEWS that Knight was “friendly, cute and I noticed her remarkable strength as a person who has been through so, so much.”

Adames said Knight told her she hopes a park with a statue of an angel replaces the Seymour Avenue house when it’s torn down.

Knight then thanked a few other neighbors before leaving, Tejeda said.

Live on Five Michelle Kinight visits Seymour Avenu …

A day after her powerful victim impact statement in court, Michelle Knight surprised neighbors with  …

The visit came one day after Knight appeared in court to tell Castro, “You took 11 years of my life away and I have got it back. As for the 11 years in hell, now your hell is just beginning.” She was the only one of Castro’s victims to appear in court.

Castro was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years.

Knight was Castro’s first victim and was held the longest. She also appears to have suffered the most from Castro. He impregnated her several times and then would force her to miscarry by starving her for weeks, punching her in the stomach, stomping her and once even threw her down the stairs.

Knight, who had a 2 1/2-year-old son when Castro abducted her in 2002, said she cried every night she was in captivity.

“I knew nobody cared about me. He told me that my family didn’t care,” she said.

“Christmas was the most traumatic day because I never got to spend it with my son.”

Ariel Castro, center, listens in the courtroom during the sentencing phase Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013, in Cleveland. Defense attorney's Craig Weintraub, left, and Jaye Schlachet sit beside Castro. Three months after an Ohio woman kicked out part of a door to end nearly a decade of captivity, Castro, a onetime school bus driver faces sentencing for kidnapping three women and subjecting them to years of sexual and physical abuse. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

Ariel Castro looks over at the prosecutors table during court proceedings Friday, July 26, 2013, in Cleveland. Castro, who imprisoned three women in his home, subjecting them to a decade of rapes and beatings, pleaded guilty Friday to 937 counts in a deal to avoid the death penalty. In exchange, prosecutors recommended Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

Michelle Knight thank you note

PHOTOS: Inside Ariel Castro’s House of Horrors

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 65 other followers